Go to the U of M home page

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Freedom to speak/freedom from fear

In the past couple of years, we have seen a re-ignition of the age-old debate and conflict between free speech and what I might call freedom from fear. We all know about freedom of speech; even disgusting, hateful, hurtful, vile speech has the right to be uttered with few restrictions (e.g., inciting lawless or violent action). FDR had “freedom from fear” as one of his four freedoms, and in his context the fear was fear of neighboring nations. In our student-oriented academic context, I would say that freedom from fear is the provision of an environment in which all in our community are welcome and comfortable in being themselves. These two important freedoms can easily be, and often are, in opposition. 

Many academic administrators have gotten soaked lately trying to navigate between the Scylla of obstructing free speech and the Charybdis of leaving parts of our community feeling attacked or vulnerable. Even some administrators close to home are walking around with wet socks. What could I possibly add? What could I say that hasn’t already been said? What conceivable upside is there to wading into this discussion?

The CLA Office of Undergraduate Education has a mission that includes promoting student personal well-being. One of UGE’s values is a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and excellence. The question is thus not why take the risk of shooting myself in the foot, but rather how can I not pursue the mission and defend the values of UGE? How can I not support the students and staff who have seen their freedom from fear eroded?

Freedom of speech needs no defense from me. It is established as the law of the land, and no one should want to stifle speech. If the powers that be can take “their” speech away, the powers that be can also take “your” speech away. Limiting speech is a path down which no one should want to go.

Freedom from fear has no such explicit constitutional protection. To provide some balance between these freedoms we must actively work to support freedom from fear. Active support can, I hope, provide a counterweight to the fear that some speech generates. My role thus becomes more focused: I must do something, and UGE must do something, and CLA must do something, and the U must do something to promote and support freedom from fear for every member of our community.

“Big words, Gary; what are you doing?” In UGE, we have the MLK and PES programs, which primarily serve diverse communities (broadly defined). We have increased support for these programs by adding more advisors and adding funding to support additional programming. We have been able to increase (albeit gradually) the diversity of our staff in advising and career counseling. Before Andrew Williams left, he was helping UGE staff take and understand the Intercultural Diversity Inventory. This is one aspect of a broader diversity awareness that I was asking Andrew to promote.

“OK, Gary, but what are YOU doing?” That’s the real question, isn’t it? We all need to answer that question, and by and large the answer has to be, “Not enough.” If members of our CLA community and wider Twin Cities community are feeling afraid, then we have work to do.

I’m an old, straight, white guy; what can I do? Old, straight, and white I may be, but I do not live in a separate universe. Philando Castile died less than one mile from my house, and the same St. Anthony Police Department patrols my street. When Tim Cook (CEO of Apple) came out as gay, he concluded his statement by saying, “We pave the sunlit path toward justice together, brick by brick. This is my brick.” That’s reassuring to me personally. I don’t have to solve the whole problem myself, but I do need to find my brick and put it in the path. My local municipality is forming a citizen board to deal with police-related policies and issues beginning with policy around body cameras; I have applied to serve. I hope I will be able to make a difference, and then I, too, will be able to say, “This is my brick.” I agree that it might be a small brick, but it’s a beginning for me. If we can all find our bricks and make those beginnings, that path to social justice will take shape, and more of our community will feel that freedom from fear is a fact rather than an ambition.

Find your brick, and put it in the path.